College Financial Aid Information
Minnesota Career Information System (MCIS)
Students can apply for financial aid to help pay for college. They can use their MCIS account to research and learn more about government financial aid, scholarships, grants and more.
- Log into MCIS (Log in with Clever, using student Gmail account user and password)
- Go to Financial Aid, Schoalrships, Grants and Information
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Applicants can apply for federal student aid on October 1 of each year. Procrastinators, take heed: Take advantage of the start date because financial aid is often given out on a first-come, first-serve basis. Filing early could mean more money for college for the next school year. Additionally, many colleges have moved up their financial aid application deadlines to coincide with the new FAFSA date. Check your student’s college’s financial aid web pages to avoid missing important deadlines.
Applying for FAFSA:
- Complete and submit a free application for federal student financial aid and to apply for most state and college aid.
- Applications beginning Oct. 1 and ending by June of each year
- Download and print the FAFSA Worksheet to assist with the application
- Obtain worksheet and apply online at FAFSA.gov
- All State FAFSA Aid deadlines are posted on the website Worksheet and Application forms
- The current year’s taxes should be completed before applying to simplify the application process
- Your Student Aid Report (SAR) will be sent to you after your online application usually within 3 days
- Contact your prospective college with any SAR errors and correct them online with FAFSA
Tuition Reciprocity Programs
Minnesota has reciprocity agreements with Wisconsin, North Dakota and South Dakota for the cost of tuition at state colleges and universities.
Midwest Student Exchange Program students attending school at state colleges in Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, & Nebraska may be eligible for reduced tuition rates. Student will pay 150% of regular in-state tuition under this program. A 10% tuition discount may apply at certain private colleges in these states.
Military Financial Aid Resource
Financial Aid for Military Service Members and student veterans information available with Best Colleges. Military Tuition Assistance Programs, federal student aid for service members and veterans with additional resources for financial assistance visit: Best Colleges