Special Education Services
The Department of Special Education serves approximately 1,600 children age birth through 21 with a variety of disabilities. Although the majority of the students receive special education services in their home schools, Lakeville Area Schools offers a wide range of service delivery models. These include home-based services for infants and toddlers and a variety of school-based services both within the school district. The department provides programming options for students with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Emotional or Behavioral Disorders, Developmental Cognitive Delays, Early Childhood Special Education and more.
We pride ourselves on the quality of our staff and on our efforts to provide programming based on the latest educational research. All special education services are developed to facilitate each student in reaching his or her potential. Inclusive education between regular and special education allows for the opportunity to learn and develop in an age-appropriate setting. From early intervention to community-based vocational training, students are provided a quality, individualized education program (IEP) in the least restrictive environment. Each school in Lakeville Area Schools has a special education team who provides services to students with a variety of handicapping conditions.
It is our goal that all students who exit our special education programs:
- Have the academic, communication, and life skills necessary to reach their highest potential;
- Are goal-directed and maintain a healthy balance of productivity, personal interests and lifelong learning;
- Have the ability to develop and maintain meaningful interpersonal relationships;
- Can pursue a vocation that is financially and/or emotionally satisfying;
- Have developed a healthy belief system, positive self-awareness and the ability to self advocate;
- Are adaptable problem-solvers who function effectively in a variety of settings and have the flexibility to withstand change, and
- Have a sense of their place in and contribution to family and community.