Youth in Government
Interested in discussing important current issues and simulating state government? Then Youth in Government (YIG) is for you!
Minnesota YMCA Youth in Government programs are organized throughout the state to serve grades 8-12. Lakeville Area Community Education has partnered with the YMCA to offer YIG in Lakeville. YIG is a simulation of state government. Students pick an area of interest and then assume the role of legislator, lawyer, reporter, lobbyist, etc. Students prepare legislation, debate bills, write court briefs, and conduct oral arguments or dozens of other things as they prepare for their role. The program culminates with a fabulous four days of model assembly in January.
Want to learn more? Come to an informational meeting!
- September 18, 7-8 pm, Lakeville North High School, Room S101
- September 25, 7-8pm, Lakeville South High School, Lecture Room
- September 28, 7-8, Kenwood Trail Middle School, Auditorium
- What is YIG? View the GENERAL INFORMATION sheet to find out more!
- Meetings will begin in October and are typically Thursdays, 7-9 pm
- 2023-2024 YIG Schedule HERE
Registration Information and Forms
*All students must register with Lakeville Area Community Education and the YMCA.
- Register with Community Ed HERE
- Register with the YMCA HERE
- Fee Assistance with the YMCA
- Fee Assistance through Lakeville Area Community Education
- Contact Krissy Moore, Lakeville Area Delegation Director at lakevilleYIG194@gmail.com