AVID is supported by the Equity Services Department.
AVID, short for Advancement Via Individual Determination, is a College Preparation System that closes the achievement, expectation and opportunity gaps that many students face. The AVID elective offers an academic elective class targeting students in the academic middle that have the desire to go to college and the willingness to work hard.
The AVID Program
- Teaches skills and behaviors for academic success
- Provides intensive support with tutorials and strong student/teacher relationships
- Creates a positive peer group for students
- Develops a sense of hope for personal achievement gained through hard work and determination
AVID's mission is an essential strategy for closing the achievement gap, making college access and success available to all students.
Kenwood Trail AVID Team
952-232-3999 vm 6821
“Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.”
AVID Tutors at KTMS
- Lori Bode
- Katie Hill
- Leslie Johnson
- Michelle Jutton
Apply for the AVID Program
Characteristics for Acceptance into AVID Elective
An ideal high school AVID student exemplifies the following:
- Individual Determination/Strong Work Ethic
- Minimum GPA of 2.0 or higher (A,B,C student)
- Average to high test scores
- Up for the challenge of taking or working towards taking honors-level courses with the support of an AVID teacher and academic coaches.
- Desires the coaching AVID provides in navigating course selection, college level reading & writing enrichment, college & career exploration and the college acceptance process.
AVID students may or may not be first generation college students. AVID applicants are considered on an individual basis, however must fit the above criteria.
- Ask your dean or the school office for an application form. Fill it out and return it to the school office.
- The application is reviewed by the AVID site team. Upon approval of the application, an interview will be scheduled.
- After the student interview, the information from the application, interview, and academic data is reviewed.
- Students and parents will be notified about acceptance into the AVID elective.